- Life at AUS
- Contact Us
- Apply Now
Administrative Assistant- CEN
The Administrative Assistant will aid the Department of Electrical Engineering, Department Head and faculty by coordinating a wide variety of services to include scheduling of meetings; student records and interfaces; correspondence; office management; fiscal affairs; equipment utilization; records control; special management studies; conferences, symposiums and workshops arrangements; and department outreach activities.
Job Responsibilities and Key Accountabilities:
- Provide full range of administrative support: schedule meetings, calendar maintenance, phone enquiries and serve as departmental help desk.
- Arrange Industry Advisory Board meetings and correspond with the board members regarding department activities and programs.
- Draft, review and answer correspondence, emails, reports, minutes, etc.
- Arrange travel plans and itineraries; compile documents for travel-related meetings.
- Identify administrative needs, develop and implement appropriate solutions or recommendations.
- Analyze procedures and workflow of the department and recommend improvements in areas such as student services and various support functions.
- May provide assistance and help to incoming students about the department courses and any prerequisite requirements based on the AUS catalogs.
- Attend to student enquires and day-to-day needs.
- Assist in course registration and student-related enquiries.
- Assist in managing student internships.
- Support faculty in issues related to the department programs.
- Announce and publicize department seminars.
- Handle textbook requests for the department courses.
- Respond to enquiries about department programs.
- Analyze and plot data needed for CAA and ABET reports.
- Generate Banner reports addressing CAA and ABET requirements.
- Assist in putting together the accreditation reports and in organizing the CAA and ABET visits.
- Assist in collecting, analyzing and presenting various types of data related to the department.
- Perform other related duties as necessary.
- Work with Department Head and faculty on department conference, symposiums and workshops.
- Coordinate and arrange meetings, programs, lodging, events or conferences; prepare agendas; reserve and prepare facilities, housing and caterer; issue information or invitations; coordinate speakers; and manage event budgets.
- Draft correspondence, emails, reports, minutes, etc.
- Identify administrative needs; develop and implement appropriate solutions or recommendations.
- Improve procedures and various support functions for department workshops and conferences.
- Perform other related duties as necessary.
Qualifications and Experience Required:
- Degree in a related field.
- Significant office management experience with a minimum of six years’ relevant experience in the administrative field.
- A self-starter with a high degree of energy and careful attention to detail.
- Highly flexible, creative problem solver, with a strong ability to multitask.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Time-management skills.
- Excellent computer skills; proficiency or advanced skill in MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, and Google suite and the ability to develop competencies in iLearn and Banner (if not already able to use the systems).
- Any other relevant experience in an academic/higher education environment.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae with the names of three references to [email protected].
The position applied for should be mentioned in the email subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applicants who do not meet specified requirements will not be shortlisted.
AUS alumni are encouraged to apply for these positions.
AUS is an equal opportunity employer. We adhere to a policy of making employment decisions without regard to race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability or marital status. We assure you that your opportunity for employment with us depends solely upon your qualifications.
NOTICE TO APPLICANTS: AUS complies with the US Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. During the interview process, you may be asked questions concerning your ability to perform job-related functions. If you are given a conditional offer of employment, you may be required to complete a post-job offer medical history questionnaire and undergo a medical examination, and all information will be kept confidential and in separate files.
American University of Sharjah, Human Resources PO Box 26666, Sharjah, UAE, Fax: +971 6 515 2139