- Contact Us
- Apply Now
The Laboratory Instructor is expected to carry out a variety of laboratory and teaching activities as well as administrative (supervising) duties. He/she also assists in departmental tasks as assigned by the department head.
- Supervise laboratory sessions.
- Give pre-laboratory presentations.
- Administer and grade laboratory quizzes.
- Grade laboratory reports.
- Assist students with various aspects of course work.
- Prepare demonstrations and other activities.
- Prepare and try out experiments.
- Monitor completion of work assignments.
- Keep a logbook of all experiments performed.
- Handle recording of grades and attendance.
- Assist in orders for supplies and equipment.
- Ensure compliance with the university’s safety regulations and respond immediately to any violations, potential hazardous situations and dangerous behavior.
- Perform data analysis and write reports.
- Perform other duties as needed by the department.
- Support faculty with laboratory-related, research and outreach activities.
- Substitute for other LIs as needed.
- Proctor exams with faculty, whenever needed.
- Perform other tasks assigned by the department head.
- Master’s degree in biology, or biology-related field.
- Minimum of three years’ experience working in biology laboratories.
- Excellent (spoken, written and reading) communication skills in English.
- Computer skills.
Preferred Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Ability to instruct the lab sessions with enthusiasm.
- Experienced in conducting lab sessions with practical demonstrations.
- Experienced in grading lab reports, quizzes and exams.
- Experienced in handling chemicals safely.
- Ability to maintain hygiene and extreme care while handling bacterial/cell cultures.
- Experienced in the safe disposal of laboratory waste and hazardous material.
- Practical experience in research projects/research techniques including using lab equipment.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae with the names of three references to [email protected].
The position applied for should be mentioned in the email subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applicants who do not meet specified requirements will not be shortlisted.
AUS alumni are encouraged to apply for these positions.
AUS is an equal opportunity employer. We adhere to a policy of making employment decisions without regard to race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability or marital status. We assure you that your opportunity for employment with us depends solely upon your qualifications.
NOTICE TO APPLICANTS: AUS complies with the US Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. During the interview process, you may be asked questions concerning your ability to perform job-related functions. If you are given a conditional offer of employment, you may be required to complete a post-job offer medical history questionnaire and undergo a medical examination, and all information will be kept confidential and in separate files.
American University of Sharjah, Human Resources PO Box 26666, Sharjah, UAE, Fax: +971 6 515 2139.