- Life at AUS
- Contact Us
- Apply Now
Post-Doctoral Research Assistant (PDRA) / Research Assistant (RA) – College of Engineering
The Department of Chemical Engineering at American University of Sharjah, UAE, is seeking a Postdoctoral Research Assistant (PDRA) or Research Assistant (RA) to work on the data-driven design of ionic liquids for thermal storage applications. Applicants should hold a PhD (PDRA) or MS (RA) in chemical engineering, chemistry or a closely related field. The ideal candidate will have relevant research experience in the development of data-driven structure-property models and cheminformatics. Experience in using the Python programming language for machine learning applications and a working knowledge of ionic liquid synthesis and physical property measurement would be distinct advantages.
The successful candidate will be a highly motivated and creative individual, with excellent modeling, programming and analytical skills. The ability to communicate complex ideas and a proven track record of writing high-quality journal publications are required. Work will be carried out under the supervision of Dr. Paul Nancarrow in the Department of Chemical Engineering.
The successful candidate will perform the following tasks:
- Establish structure-property relationships and apply machine learning algorithms in the development of predictive models for ionic liquids.
- Experimentally measure key physical properties of ionic liquids.
- Develop a framework for the design of ionic liquids for thermal energy storage.
- Synthesis, testing and modification of ionic liquids for thermal energy storage.
- Contribute to other projects as and when required.
- Prepare high-quality journal manuscripts and conference presentations.
- Assist in the supervision of research students and preparation of research proposals.
- PhD or MS in chemical engineering, chemistry or a closely related field.
- Research experience in the development of predictive physical property models.
- Proven record in the preparation and publication of high-impact journal papers.
- Working knowledge of the synthesis and physical property measurement of ionic liquids would be a distinct advantage.
- Proven ability in Python programming for cheminformatics and/or the application of machine learning algorithms would be a distinct advantage.
- Experience in the design or synthesis of materials for thermal energy storage.
- Experience in the preparation of research proposals.
The appointment will be for a one-year period initially, with the possibility for renewal subject to performance based on research productivity and publications. The anticipated start date is September 2020.
Interested candidates should submit a complete application package to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A complete application package includes:
- A full CV including publication record.
- A one-page cover letter outlining the candidate’s major strengths, suitability for this position, and reasons for applying.
- Names of three referees that will be contacted only if the candidate is shortlisted.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.