- Contact Us
- Apply Now
Technology Transfer Officer (Part Time) - Office of Research and Graduate Studies
The Office of Research and Graduate Studies at American University of Sharjah invites applications for the position of Technology Transfer Officer (TTO). The successful candidate is expected to direct the operation and administrative functions associated with intellectual property and related innovation services of AUS, working in collaboration with the AUS colleges and school. The TTO will oversee administration and educational outreach, and will report to the Vice Provost for Research and Graduate Studies (VPRGS) and work closely with the VPRGS on strategic planning, policy development, and innovation and entrepreneurship programs.
- Encourages, administers and evaluates intellectual property disclosure submissions for potential patenting and licensing by the university.
- Administers formal documents relating to IP prosecution and grants, such as assignments, declarations, power of attorney, etc.
- Coordinates the patent application and prosecution process with outside counsel, including docketing of patent actions/communications with outside counsel, faculty inventors and other staff.
- Coordinates with faculty inventors and outside counsel regarding time sensitive and deadline-driven patent actions, ensuring that faculty and staff are well informed about critical deadlines.
- Identifies strategies for commercialization of university technologies, including pre-license background diligence.
- Markets technologies to appropriate companies or funding sources.
- Coordinates with researchers on commercialization strategy, including licensing to existing companies or to potential start-up companies.
- Builds awareness of intellectual property policies and commercialization in office and with AUS researchers, colleges/school and departments.
- Organizes educational outreach including newsletters, seminars and the office website.
- Responds to requests from senior administrators and other university officials for assistance and expertise.
- Analyzes budget and financial data for trends in spending on intellectual property. Makes budgetary and resource allocation recommendations to the VPRGS.
- Identifies and establishes contact with external public/private organizations to enhance support for commercialization of university technologies.
- Attends meetings, seminars and conferences. Makes formal presentations as needed.
- Master's degree in a scientific field, or bachelor's degree with a minimum of five years’ relevant experience.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in a technology transfer office at a university or industry.
- Good understanding of intellectual property rights.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- A doctoral degree in a STEM-related field or business qualification.
- Passion for commercialization of early-stage technologies.
- Understanding and experience in academic technology commercialization.
- Positive outlook, sense of urgency and great team player.
- Excellent communication skills in English; ability to have candid, firm and respectful conversations with others.
- Recognizes when to ask for support from senior leadership.
- Ability to navigate and resolve conflicts of mid-level complexities while preserving positive relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment and decision making, creativity, problem solving and critical analysis.
- In-depth knowledge of intellectual property and technology transfer, including negotiation and management of technology license agreements.
- Experience and knowledge of general computer software (e.g., MS Office).
How to apply
Applicants with a valid UAE resident visa can send their application to: [email protected] mentioning the job ad in the subject line.
The selected applicant with a valid resident visa should provide AUS with a Letter of No Objection from their sponsor before joining.