- Life at AUS
- Contact Us
- Apply Now
Writer | Office of Strategic Communications and Marketing
The Office of Strategic Communications and Marketing requires a writer to communicate the important stories arising from the AUS community of students, faculty, staff and alumni, using such stories to convey the contributions of AUS to the development of the region, and the positive impact the university has at a global level. The writer will be responsible for recognizing the most appropriate stories to write about, and creating high-quality content that can be used for a variety of communications purposes.
- Develop close working relationships with key stakeholders throughout the university to ascertain newsworthy stories from the AUS community.
- Develop and implement a system and processes for identifying relevant stories.
- Interview and liaise with subjects of stories in a way that ensures authentic, engaging and accurate storytelling outcomes.
- Keep abreast of new developments throughout the university (for example, new research, new programs, events, etc.) and link these developments to external issues and challenges being reported in the media.
- Profile AUS faculty sabbaticals.
- Profile AUS student achievements across a variety of fields, including (but not limited to), academic, sports, cultural and community.
- Profile AUS faculty achievements, such as impressive research outcomes.
- Profile AUS alumni achievements, such as graduate study achievements, career achievements or entrepreneurial successes.
- Create high-quality engaging content for university publications (for example, university magazine or newsletters, blogs and others) that communicates complex ideas in manner that is digestible for lay people, and devoid of “buzz words” or clichés.
- Supplement other areas of the Strategic Communications and Marketing team in relation to content development (for example, press releases, web content or advertorial content) as necessary.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher degree in relevant field, such as English literature, media, journalism or communications.
- A minimum of five years’ experience as a professional writer, working for reputable and recognizable publications or organizations. Experience of writing for higher education publications or organizations is highly desirable.
- Outstanding understanding of the English language with mastery of English grammar and spelling.
- An ability to independently produce outstanding written work.
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize discrete information into a cohesive and engaging narrative.
- High-level interpersonal skills and an ability to connect and engage with people from a diverse mix of backgrounds, and compel them to share their personal stories.
- An ability to work well within a team environment.
- An ability to produce exceptional results within limited timeframes.
- An understanding of the regional and international higher education sector.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae with the names of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position applied for should be mentioned in the email subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applicants who do not meet specified requirements will not be shortlisted.
AUS alumni are encouraged to apply for these positions.
AUS is an equal opportunity employer. We adhere to a policy of making employment decisions without regard to race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, or marital status. We assure you that your opportunity for employment with us depends solely upon your qualifications.
NOTICE TO APPLICANTS: AUS complies with the US Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. During the interview process, you may be asked questions concerning your ability to perform job-related functions. If you are given a conditional offer of employment, you may be required to complete a post-job offer medical history questionnaire and undergo a medical examination, and all information will be kept confidential and in separate files.
American University of Sharjah, Human Resources PO Box 26666, Sharjah, UAE, Fax: +971 6 515 2139