- Evening Library Clerk
- Circulation Supervisor
- Electrical Engineer
- Document Controller
- Acquisitions and Resource Management Librarian
Evening Library Clerk
AUS Library seeks an Evening Library Clerk. The Evening Library Clerk, an evening and weekend position (Saturday - Wednesday), is responsible for performing a full range of library stack maintenance functions. This includes shelving books and other materials in a timely manner, emptying book drops daily, shifting collections as necessary, checking in returned materials, processing new shipments, repairing damaged materials, and other related tasks. The position may also include working at the library circulation desk and training library student assistants. The Evening Library Clerk must enjoy working with the public, demonstrate strong communication and interpersonal skills, and be highly dependable. The incumbent will work as a team member to provide excellent, proactive library service.
Qualifications, Experience & Skills Required:
- High school diploma
- Demonstrated computer competency including knowledge of Microsoft Windows Operating Systems and MS Office Suite
- Experience with customer service
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Available to work evenings and weekends as required
- Experience in library public services
- Familiarity with integrated library system (such as WMS, Millennium, Horizon, Sirsi, etc)
AUS Library Department seeks Circulation Supervisor responsible for all aspects of the library's Circulation Desk and related services to faculty, students, staff and outside users. Performs and administers paraprofessional level work which involves detailed knowledge of library circulation policies, procedures and computer operations; supervises trains and evaluates staff and student assistants; manages Circulation Desk scheduling. One of three Circulation Supervisors, this position works monthly rotational shifts to ensure the library remains open in the evening and on weekends. The Circulation Supervisor is responsible for opening and closing the library as scheduled, and shares the responsibility for covering holidays and semester breaks with the other supervisors.
- Supervise library circulation desk activities and functions including provision of direct customer service to ensure: effective and consistent circulation processes and workflows; a high level of staff competency with the Library's Management System; effective training of staff and student assistants.
- Oversee system circulation functions using the Library's Management System and other technologies. Ensure timely schedule for reports and notices, follow-up as necessary with faculty, students and staff. Oversee library fines procedures; Set/release Banner holds as needed; oversees recalls / holds services and answers inquiries.
- Supervise part-time library assistants & monitor performance. Ensure effective & adequate staffing levels including scheduling of work shifts.
- Create, update, and revise effective circulation policies and procedures in support of the library's mission as needed, and ensure all staff are aware of changes through continuous communication.
- Liaise with librarian in charge of the Research Help Desk and the Information Commons Coordinator to ensure high quality public services library-wide and work closely with the technical service librarians and staff.
- In consultation with Associate University Librarian, ensure back-up plans are in place in case of Library Management System, RFID or photocopy equipment failures.
Qualifications, Experience & Skills Required:
- Bachelor's Degree (BA/BS) from four year college or university, two to three years related library experience or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated computer competency including knowledge of Microsoft Windows and MS Office Suite.
- Supervisory and customer service experience required
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English required.
- Evening and weekend work may be required.
The Project Management Office at the American University of Sharjah seeks well experienced Electrical Engineer. The prospective candidate will be responsible for Electrical related work such as Electrical Building Services, Substations, HV, LV distribution, Emergency Power Systems & Generators, ELV systems such as Structured Cabling & Networking, SMATV, Car Park Management Systems & Gate barriers, Fire Alarm Systems, Access Control Systems, Security CCTV Surveillance Systems, Building Automation, Integration, Lighting Controls etc. AUS from Feasibility stage till end of the Defect Liability Period of the Project.
- Carrying out the project feasibility studies and providing preliminary project requirement to the PMO Manager. Reviewing consultant design documentation such as drawings, calculations, specifications and other technical reports and provide design/construction input into all stages from feasibility study to end of defect liability period.
- Developing design specifications for equipment and material selections, equipment configurations, plant layouts, and formulating instrumentation diagrams.
- Coordinating multi-discipline teams of engineers and designers to produce engineering works and liaising with AUS departments and contractors.
- Providing technical guidance and supervision support to the project teams.
- Site attendance and signoff on plant installation, Testing and commissioning inspection.
- Ensure the projects progress is in line with the work program and if any delay in order to hand over the project on time.
- Snags and Defect inspections and reporting prior to project handovers, and during defect liability periods.
- Investigate equipment failures; fault diagnosing and making recommendations for remedial works.
- Oversee the work of contractors to ensure work is performed safely, in adherence with best engineering practices, and as specified in the contracts and specifications
- Ensure the successful delivery of project aims and objectives as outlined in the relevant specification.
Qualifications, Job-Specific Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Bachelor Degree in Electrical Engineering from a reputed university.
- Minimum of 10 years working experience in UAE.
- Ability to work under pressure and to handle critical situation.
- Having excellent interpersonal communication skill including writing.
- Having knowledge about standard electrical system.
- Computer literate including MS project and familiarized in AutoCAD system.
- Well acquainted with electrical system and latest building technology for Electrical
- The candidate should have exposure to large scale Projects for minimum of 08 years or more.
- The candidate should have a direct exposure to the site/construction works including project commissioning/handover.
- Ability to work independently under minimal guidance of immediate supervisor.
- Excellent in producing reports and presenting project/energy related documents.
- Candidate should be familiar with local Electrical Authority codes & requirements
- Valid U.A.E driving license
- Experience in energy management subject/ techniques for new buildings as well as existing facilities.
- Experience & exposure to in mechanical systems & testing/commission.
- The candidate's with project estimation experiences would be an added advantage for this position.
The Electrician is to monitor and maintain the electrical services in the academic area. He will be responsible for attending service calls, regular maintenance, electrical installation, troubleshooting and repair works, and providing support services to events, coordinating and supervision of subcontractors for annual maintenance contractors and special projects
- Maintain switchgear and associated control systems.
- Analyse ,Identify defects , Troubleshoot & rectify defects to keep the LV Power distribution system in optimum performance
- Check and ensure proper operation of MDB's, SMDB's, MCC's, Capacitor banks, DB's as per Preventive maintenance Plan
- Check and ensure proper operation of Motor Starters, Controllers, VFD's & Control Systems
- Check and ensure proper operation of LCP panels, Presence Detectors , Lighting Controllers, Timers, Relays
- Checks and ensure proper operation of Generators, Generator Control panels, ATS's & Synchronizing panels
- Carryout daily routine checks and repairs of all electrical permanent installation and reports any deficiencies, backlogs and faults.
- Prepare and update panel load schedules/ drawings, log books, etc.
- Replacing fused tube lights, neon bulbs, defective ballasts & repairing luminaires
- Replacing small power sockets , industrial plugs, fuses , breakers, wiring & maintaining continuity of power
- Repairing & maintaining Projector type flood Lights on roofs & perimeter of the buildings, Wall wash lights, Column Lights including connections and timer adjustment.
- Replacing fused bulbs, defective ballasts, chokes, igniters & repairing luminaires
- Electrical Installation as per BS7671. Cabling, Installing Containment, Installing , Luminaires, Socket Outlets , DB's, starters,
- Carrying out live / dead tests , functional test of electrical circuits & equipment
- Carrying out switching operations, providing shut down & safe energization of electrical installations
- Carrying out the lockout / tag out & following the permit to work system
- Carrying out testing & commissioning of LV Panels, MCC's, DB's, LCP's etc.
- Carryout inspections of electrical installations in special projects
- Supervise subcontractors caring out electrical installation works in special projects
- Attend to the work requests through Agility System as allocated by the Forman/ engineer
- Perform other duties as directed by the foreman/Engineer.
Qualifications & Skills Required:
- 3 year Technical Diploma in Technology
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in UAE or 7 years' experience in GCC countries. Total experience of 10 years or more which includes minimum 3 years' experience in maintenance of electrical services.
- Fair knowledge in English is a must (written & spoken)
- Age - Should be below 50 years
- Knowledge of BMS & controls
- Basic understanding of computer
- UAE Driving license
The document controller serves as primary contact for the Project Management Office at AUS. The document controller is the core of information management system in PMO. He/she schedules meeting, take minutes of construction and weekly meetings. It is the role of the document controller to receive and process reimbursement and payment requests, as well as provide administrative assistance to engineers and architects for the PMO Office. The document controller raises and monitors requests on Banner with appropriate approval and also maintains office supplies and equipment. The document controller has an important role corresponding and handling sensitive/confidential information requiring a high level of discretion. He/she must have exceptional organizational skills to be effective in executing his day-to-day functions needs strong organizational skills to file and retrieve records of the building blueprint, building permits, projects documents and contract agreement with ease.
- Performs wide range of administration duties, including entering and tracking requisitions in Banner; receiving calls and general inquiries and directing to appropriate staff; coordinating time sheets, purchase requests, shipments and mail deliveries.
- Coordinates repair of office equipment & related activities such as: room reservations, call center, IT departments, required stationeries, etc.
- Answers telephones and transfer messages to appropriate staff member.
- Creates and modify documents using Microsoft Office Suite.
- Prepares agendas & take minutes of meetings.
- Performs general duties to include but not limited to: photocopying, faxing, mailing, and filing & updating records.
- Enters requisitions on banner (Oracle).
- Carry out other relevant assignments delegated by the Supervisor.
- Filling up administrative work for other departments whenever needed.
- Keeps track of projects and ensure that tracking record is updated.
- Conducts regular review audits to ensure information on all records is accurate and up to date
- Bachelor's Degree from a four year college or university, three to four years related experience or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five years plus of relevant experience in document controlling and administration
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- High level of customer service focus, excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated skill in handling appropriate telephone and email protocol.
- Demonstrated computer competency including knowledge of MS Office Suite.
- Efficient organizational, administrative and time management skills.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge of Oracle.
- Responsible on repairing cabinets, desk drawers, and other component made of wood and buildings Furniture by using Saw, cutter shaping and fasten them.
- Perform finished carpentry works such as cutting and fitting doors, windows, Door closers, tower bolts and interior moldings.
- Repair and maintain false ceiling, Aluminum doors and windows.
- Proper uses of both power and hand tools, such as hammers, grinders/cutters, saws, drills, and chisels.
- Perform related duties assigned through Agility WO as well as instruction from Foreman/Manager.
- Work independently in absence of supervision.
- Receives general supervisions from higher level maintenance
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety practices.
- Carpenter is responsible to be punctual on duty on each working day & on any particular assigned days.
- Additionally perform Masonry semi-skilled and skilled labor in the construction, maintenance and repair of certain structures of building interior and exterior.
- Basic techniques of concrete finishing repairs & construction principle for manhole framing & Soak pit.
- Be able to extract Honeycombs from the trees of building at a height of various measurement.
- Perform low profile Pest Control application as & when required at an assigned area.
- Receives occasional instructions or assistance as new or unusual situations arise, and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the work unit.
Qualifications & Skills Required:
- Related work experience for a minimum of 4 years in the same field of works.
- English language speaking and writing is a must
- Basic computer knowledge to work with Agility work order system including e-mailing.
- Valid UAE driving license will be an added advantage.
Acquisitions and Resource Management Librarian
The AUS Library is seeking an energetic and knowledgeable Acquisitions and Resource Management Librarian to join its service-oriented team. Reporting to the AUL for Technology and Technical Services, the successful candidate will work closely with library colleagues to provide an integrated approach to the acquisition and management of the library's electronic, print and media resources.
- Acquisitions, licensing, implementation, assessment and ongoing maintenance of the library print and electronic collections.
- Coordinating with the Cataloging and Metadata Librarian to arrange description and control of resources in the library's WMS system.
- Troubleshooting problems arising from ordering, subscription, licensing or access-related technical issues including linking and discovery.
- Collecting and analyzing collection usage statistics.
- Document delivery.
- An ALA-accredited MLS degree
- Minimum of 3 years' experience
- Knowledge of web-based applications and environment
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Superior technology skills with openness to emerging technologies
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- The ability to initiate and complete projects in a timely and independent manner
- Familiarity with standards such as EDI/EDIFACT, OpenURL, COUNTER, SUSHI
- Knowledge of metadata standards and formats including MARC, KBART, Dublin Core, AACR2, RDA, LCSH
- 2 years' experience in print or electronic resource management, commercial knowledge-bases or digital serials management
- Experience working in a university or research environment
- Experience with OCLC WMS or other library services platform
If interested, applicants should submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae with the names of three references to email@example.com. The position applied for should be mentioned in the email subject line.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Applicants who do not meet specified requirements will not be shortlisted.
AUS Alumni are encouraged to apply for these positions
This company is an equal opportunity employer. We adhere to a policy of making employment decisions without regard to race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or marital status. We assure you that your opportunity for employment with us depends solely upon your qualifications.
NOTICE TO APPLICANTS: AUS complies with the US Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. During the interview process, you may be asked questions concerning your ability to perform job-related functions. If you are given a conditional offer of employment, you may be required to complete a post-job offer medical history questionnaire and undergo a medical examination, and all information will be kept confidential and in separate files.
American University of Sharjah, Human Resources
PO Box 26666, Sharjah, UAE, Fax: +971 6 515 2139