- IT Specialist - Academic Computing
- Document Controller
- Database Administrator
- Systems Engineer II
- Acquisitions and Resource Management Librarian
IT Specialist - Academic Computing
The Office of Academic Computing at the American University of Sharjah seeks an IT Specialist to provide academic computing services to faculty, staff and students.
- Provide technology support to faculty, staff and students, especially for learning and other academic purposes.
- Responsible for the configuration, deployment, and management of IT equipment and systems in computer labs, classrooms, and offices.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science/computer engineering
- Excellent hardware and software troubleshooting skills
- Knowledge of desktop and server operating systems
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- CompTIA professional certifications
- IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) certifications
- Good programming skills
The document controller serves as primary contact for the Project Management Office at AUS. The document controller is the core of information management system in PMO. He/she schedules meeting, take minutes of construction and weekly meetings. It is the role of the document controller to receive and process reimbursement and payment requests, as well as provide administrative assistance to engineers and architects for the PMO Office. The document controller raises and monitors requests on Banner with appropriate approval and also maintains office supplies and equipment. The document controller has an important role corresponding and handling sensitive/confidential information requiring a high level of discretion. He/she must have exceptional organizational skills to be effective in executing his day-to-day functions needs strong organizational skills to file and retrieve records of the building blueprint, building permits, projects documents and contract agreement with ease.
- Performs wide range of administration duties, including entering and tracking requisitions in Banner; receiving calls and general inquiries and directing to appropriate staff; coordinating time sheets, purchase requests, shipments and mail deliveries.
- Coordinates repair of office equipment & related activities such as: room reservations, call center, IT departments, required stationeries, etc.
- Answers telephones and transfer messages to appropriate staff member.
- Creates and modify documents using Microsoft Office Suite.
- Prepares agendas & take minutes of meetings.
- Performs general duties to include but not limited to: photocopying, faxing, mailing, and filing & updating records.
- Enters requisitions on banner (Oracle).
- Carry out other relevant assignments delegated by the Supervisor.
- Filling up administrative work for other departments whenever needed.
- Keeps track of projects and ensure that tracking record is updated.
- Conducts regular review audits to ensure information on all records is accurate and up to date
- Bachelor's Degree from a four year college or university, three to four years related experience or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five years plus of relevant experience in document controlling and administration
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- High level of customer service focus, excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated skill in handling appropriate telephone and email protocol.
- Demonstrated computer competency including knowledge of MS Office Suite.
- Efficient organizational, administrative and time management skills.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge of Oracle.
- Responsible on repairing cabinets, desk drawers, and other component made of wood and buildings Furniture by using Saw, cutter shaping and fasten them.
- Perform finished carpentry works such as cutting and fitting doors, windows, Door closers, tower bolts and interior moldings.
- Repair and maintain false ceiling, Aluminum doors and windows.
- Proper uses of both power and hand tools, such as hammers, grinders/cutters, saws, drills, and chisels.
- Perform related duties assigned through Agility WO as well as instruction from Foreman/Manager.
- Work independently in absence of supervision.
- Receives general supervisions from higher level maintenance
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety practices.
- Carpenter is responsible to be punctual on duty on each working day & on any particular assigned days.
- Additionally perform Masonry semi-skilled and skilled labor in the construction, maintenance and repair of certain structures of building interior and exterior.
- Basic techniques of concrete finishing repairs & construction principle for manhole framing & Soak pit.
- Be able to extract Honeycombs from the trees of building at a height of various measurement.
- Perform low profile Pest Control application as & when required at an assigned area.
- Receives occasional instructions or assistance as new or unusual situations arise, and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the work unit.
Qualifications & Skills Required:
- Related work experience for a minimum of 4 years in the same field of works.
- English language speaking and writing is a must
- Basic computer knowledge to work with Agility work order system including e-mailing.
- Valid UAE driving license will be an added advantage.
The Department of Information Technology at the American University of Sharjah seeks a Database Administrator to manage and administer enterprise databases, application servers and business applications. The position is primarily responsible for installation, configuration, administration, maintenance and security of the university database, application servers and business application.
- Management and administration of Oracle, Microsoft SQL server database and application server:
- Install, configure and maintain database and application servers.
- Monitor and optimize the performance of databases and application servers.
- Enforce application server standards and maintain documentation.
- Manage database and application server security and implement best practices.
- Provide advanced troubleshooting and tuning for SQL, PLSQL and application servers.
- Manage and implement backup & recovery strategies. Perform real time monitoring of standby databases configured in the environment to ensure business continuity in case of disasters.
- Facilitate sharing of common data between database and other third party products required for integration.
- Management and administration of ERP and other business applications under MIS:
- Install, upgrade, and maintain business applications which includes installing new software releases and system upgrades, evaluating and installing patches, and conducting database and application server migrations, refreshes and restores.
- Troubleshoot and resolve complex technical problems with business applications that include application, database and server problems.
- Ensure the performance and reliability of business applications by monitoring these systems for high availability, load balancing, and satisfactory response time.
- Ensure business applications and database environment operated in accordance with established security and support best practices.
- Manage the ongoing operational support and access privileges for the designated business applications.
- Provide technical support to Development team on issues related to the database and others required by the job.
- Research and evaluate emerging technologies, and recommend appropriate hardware / software resources that may help improve efficiency and effectiveness of technology.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Engineering, Computer Science, MIS, or similar discipline, or equivalent work experience.
- Oracle Database Administrator Certified Professional.
- 5 or more years of Oracle Database and Oracle Application server administration experience.
- High level of proficiency in relational databases primarily Oracle, secondarily SQL Server in OLTP environment.
- Experience with Red Hat Enterprise Linux & Windows.
- Experience with Oracle Application Server.
- Experience with web servers like Apache Tomcat and IIS.
- Experience with Oracle Data Guard, RMAN and Oracle Cloud control.
- Knowledge of Backup solutions like Symantec and Netapp.
- Knowledge of Network Security, Load Balancer, VLANs, VMware and storage technologies.
- Scripting Languages & Tools.
- Experience with systems and IT operations.
- Ability to manage and prioritize your workload in order to deliver high quality work products on time with minimal direction.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Good problem solving, troubleshooting and customer service skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to work with both technical and non-technical users.
- Master's degree in Engineering, Computer Science, MIS, or similar discipline, or equivalent work experience.
- Oracle Database Administrator Certified Professional.
- 3 or more years of experience in higher education technology.
- Knowledge and experience with Ellucian and Blackboard.
- IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) V3 Foundations.
Systems Engineer II
The Department of Information Technology at the American University of Sharjah seeks a Systems Engineer II to manage and maintain the systems infrastructure resources including servers, storage, and associate operating systems. This individual will apply proven analytical, technical, problem-solving and communication skills to help identify, communicate, and resolve systems related issues.
- Administer and maintain the Identity Management environment.
- Design, manage and maintain the AUS email messaging & Learning Management System (LMS) for the academic and administrative units on day-to-day basis.
- Work collaboratively with IT team members and business stakeholders to define business requirements and systems goals, and to identify and resolve business systems issues.
- Provide support for centrally managed IT infrastructure services.
- Monitor & resolve IT Service Desk tickets assigned to the Escalation queue based on priority
- Perform real time monitoring of IT Infrastructure to ensure services are available by taking proactive actions.
- Propose and create system design models, specifications, diagrams, and charts to provide direction to system programmer and development teams.
- Design and perform server and security audits, system backup procedures, and other recovery processes in accordance with the university's disaster recovery and business continuity strategies.
- Conduct research on software and systems products to justify recommendations and to support purchasing efforts.
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to system configuration, mapping, processes, and service records.
- Apply updates and patches to systems to ensure a systematic approach is followed for configuration management in addition to ensuring technical updates for IT infrastructure
- Administer and manage server environment (physical & virtual) to provide secure & reliable application services.
- Manage and administer the AUS video conferencing and collaboration services for the administrative units on day-to-day basis.
- Co-ordinate with vendors/partners and internal staff to evaluate technologies to ensure centrally managed infrastructure technologies continue to meet the changing needs of the AUS community.
- Provide guidance and mentoring to System Engineer I staff members.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field (Computer Science/Engineering)
- Six years plus of relevant experience in IT
- Knowledge and experience with Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Windows.
- Knowledge and strong experience with Microsoft Active Directory
- Experience with OS and application level patch management
- Experience with Enterprise Server & Storage management (CISCO, NetApp)
- Experience & Familiarity with Blackboard Learning Management system.
- Software integration skills utilizing programming languages (Perl, Python, VB, etc.)
- Experience with E-mail and Directory applications
- Familiarity with Server, Desktop and Application Virtualization, Directory Services, Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Backup applications.
- Self-motivated and able to provide solutions based on independent research
- Experience supporting a multiple Operating System environment (Red Hat, Ubuntu, Microsoft, Sun and others)
- Experience with Backup & Replication solutions (Veeam, Veritas NetBackup preferred)
- Experience with Server & Desktop and Application Virtualization (VMware & Citrix preferred)
- Knowledge and experience with Patch & vulnerability management systems
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills in writing and spoken English
- Capable of multi-tasking
- Working in a team environment
- Working outside regular Business hours
- Being on call to support Central IT services and applications
- A master's degree in a related field (Computer Science/Engineering)
- Certificates in related technology
- Virtualization - VMware
- Learning Management Systems - Blackboard
- Storage - Network Appliance
- Backup and Replication solutions - Veeam & Netbackup
- RedHat Enterprise Linux and Ubuntu
- Microsoft Windows Servers, Active Directory, WSUS and SCCM
- IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) V3 Foundations
- Cloud Computing & hosting
Acquisitions and Resource Management Librarian
The AUS Library is seeking an energetic and knowledgeable Acquisitions and Resource Management Librarian to join its service-oriented team. Reporting to the AUL for Technology and Technical Services, the successful candidate will work closely with library colleagues to provide an integrated approach to the acquisition and management of the library's electronic, print and media resources.
- Acquisitions, licensing, implementation, assessment and ongoing maintenance of the library print and electronic collections.
- Coordinating with the Cataloging and Metadata Librarian to arrange description and control of resources in the library's WMS system.
- Troubleshooting problems arising from ordering, subscription, licensing or access-related technical issues including linking and discovery.
- Collecting and analyzing collection usage statistics.
- Document delivery.
- An ALA-accredited MLS degree
- Minimum of 3 years' experience
- Knowledge of web-based applications and environment
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Superior technology skills with openness to emerging technologies
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- The ability to initiate and complete projects in a timely and independent manner
- Familiarity with standards such as EDI/EDIFACT, OpenURL, COUNTER, SUSHI
- Knowledge of metadata standards and formats including MARC, KBART, Dublin Core, AACR2, RDA, LCSH
- 2 years' experience in print or electronic resource management, commercial knowledge-bases or digital serials management
- Experience working in a university or research environment
- Experience with OCLC WMS or other library services platform
If interested, applicants should submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae with the names of three references to email@example.com. The position applied for should be mentioned in the email subject line.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Applicants who do not meet specified requirements will not be shortlisted.
AUS Alumni are encouraged to apply for these positions
This company is an equal opportunity employer. We adhere to a policy of making employment decisions without regard to race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or marital status. We assure you that your opportunity for employment with us depends solely upon your qualifications.
NOTICE TO APPLICANTS: AUS complies with the US Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. During the interview process, you may be asked questions concerning your ability to perform job-related functions. If you are given a conditional offer of employment, you may be required to complete a post-job offer medical history questionnaire and undergo a medical examination, and all information will be kept confidential and in separate files.
American University of Sharjah, Human Resources
PO Box 26666, Sharjah, UAE, Fax: +971 6 515 2139