Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
Our internationally accredited mechanical engineering degree program is one of the most dynamic in the Gulf region and is constantly responding to market requirements and the latest developments in this exciting area of study.
This 140-credit bachelor of science program is accredited both by the UAE Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research and by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET in the United States.
After the junior year, you will undertake a summer internship that will require you to work in an engineering environment for no less than five weeks.
Before you can graduate, you will have to complete a yearlong senior design project; many of these design projects are of international caliber and are submitted to international competitions.
Some of the past projects have included a solar car, a mini-Baja SAE all-terrain car and a formula SAE racecar, as well as participation in the Supermileage Vehicle Competition (SMV-SAE), the FSAE Auto-Cross Competition, the Aircraft Design Build and the Fly AIAA-DBF Competition.
The mission of the mechanical engineering program at AUS is to educate the engineers of tomorrow by integrating classroom theory and hands-on experience, emphasizing the process of learning and critical thinking, conducting cutting-edge research, and serving the engineering profession, industry and society at large. The mechanical engineering program fosters lifelong learning, ethics and professional development, and embraces diversity among its faculty and student body.
Program Educational Objectives
The objectives of the mechanical engineering degree program are to produce graduates who will:
- actively embrace leadership roles in the practice of mechanical engineering, conduct research and development to advance technology and foster innovation, and apply their engineering problem-solving skills as needed in the workplace
- actively participate in on-going professional development, updating and adapting their core knowledge, and acquiring new knowledge and skills to pursue new career opportunities
- serve the engineering profession and support sustainable development
Upon graduation, an AUS graduate in mechanical engineering should demonstrate:
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering
- an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- an ability to design a system, component or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability and sustainability
- an ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- an ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems
- an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- an ability to communicate effectively
- the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental and societal context
- a recognition of the need for and an ability to engage in lifelong learning
- a knowledge of contemporary issues
- an ability to use the techniques, skills and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
Our program focuses on three major areas of mechanical engineering: thermofluids and energy systems; mechanical product design and manufacturing; and dynamics control and mechatronics. We offer advanced technical courses in all of these areas to insure that our graduates get the breadth as well as the depth of education to perform at their best in the workplace. The research areas of our faculty cover broad and contemporary areas such as:
- energy systems
- complex fluid flows: steady and unsteady aerodynamics, external and internal flows
- modern real-time control systems
- modeling and simulation of physical systems
- composite materials: thermosets, thermoplastics, metal-metal composites and other advanced engineering materials
- navigation systems and GPS/INS integration
- unmanned autonomous vehicles
- manufacturing and manufacturing process monitoring and control
- heat transfer
- computational fluid dynamics
- vibration monitoring and control
We are also very proud that our department has an active American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) student chapter, as well as membership in the Society of Automotive Engineering (SAE) and the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA).
Our facilities, excellent faculty and curriculum are here for one purpose, and that is to help our students succeed in realizing their education goals. We are committed to ensuring that our unique program will bring about a positive change in the future of all our graduates.
If you would like to begin your journey to achieving a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, you can apply online now.