- Life at AUS
- Contact Us
- Apply Now
Lab Instructor in Computer Science and Engineering
The Department of Computer Science and Engineering at American University of Sharjah invites applications for the position of Lab Instructor commencing in Fall Semester 2020. The successful candidate is expected to prepare lab materials in consultation with the faculty, provide laboratory instruction to students, and contribute to the continuous improvement of lab course materials.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide instruction in laboratories related to academic programs in computer science and computer engineering
- Work with faculty to develop lab materials for experiments
- Closely administer lab activities and provide timely feedback to faculty
- Supervise students in a professional manner and grade lab assignments
- Assist students in senior design project activities
- Perform regular lab equipment checks and follow up on equipment orders
- Support students’ extracurricular activities
- Complete other service duties as assigned by the Head of Department
- Master’s degree in computer science or computer engineering or a related area
- Hands-on experience in trouble shooting and maintaining lab equipment
- Excellent communication skills in English (spoken and written)
- Professional certifications
- Able to work in an interdisciplinary team environment
- A strong background in one or more of the following areas:
- Hardware: Digital Systems, Microcontrollers (PIC24), Assembly Programming (8086), Embedded Systems (Raspberry PI, Photon), FPGA, VHDL or Verilog HDL, Programmable Logic Controllers and Data Acquisition
- Software: Programming (C++, Java, Python), Internet and IoT Programming, Software Design, Neural Networks and Deep Learning, GUI Design and Programming, Data Structures and Algorithms, Operating Systems, Database Systems, Programming Languages, Mobile Application Development (IOS and Android), Machine Learning, VR and AR
- Networking: Computer Networks, Cloud, Cyber Security
Applicants should fill out an application form and upload the required documents (PDF) using the following link. The required documents are a cover letter and a detailed curriculum vitae (including a teaching statement, and names of at least three references who would be willing to write letters of recommendation). The position is open until filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Department of Computer Science and Engineering has approximately 530 undergraduate students, 20 graduate students, 14 full-time faculty and 6 lab instructors. The department offers a Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering, a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, and a Master of Science in Computer Engineering.
AUS is located in the Emirate of Sharjah (about 15 km from Dubai), UAE. AUS is an independent, not-for-profit, coeducational university, serving some 5,000 students of approximately 90 nationalities. Further information can be obtained from www.aus.edu/department-of-computer-science-and-engineering and www.auscse.com.
AUS is licensed and its programs are accredited by the Commission for Academic Accreditation of the Ministry of Education's Higher Education Affairs Division in the United Arab Emirates. AUS has been accredited in the United States of America by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA, Tel +1 215 662 5606) since June 2004. Additionally, the Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET (http://www.abet.org), and the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science program is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET.
Applications will be reviewed starting April 1, 2020 and the reviewing will continue until the position is filled and posting removed from the AUS website. We welcome questions related to this posting.