- Life at AUS
- Contact Us
- Apply Now
Scholarly Communications Librarian
The AUS Library seeks an innovative Scholarly Communications Librarian to provide expertise, service development and support for a range of scholarly activities. This new position will advocate for a responsible and proactive approach to scholarly publishing strategies such as open access, engaging with academic digital profiles, research data management, metrics and other indicators, and citations improvement.
The Scholarly Communications Librarian will build positive relationships with faculty to ensure the Library delivers highly valued and relevant programs, services and resources that meet rapidly evolving requirements.
Job Responsibilities and Key Accountabilities
- Provide advice on scholarly publishing (such as Open Access), scholarly profiles and identifiers such as ORCID, and research data management guidance.
- Consult with faculty on data management and scholarly communication needs, advocating for the open research practices and the responsible use of metrics in the assessment of research.
- Collaborate with the Office of the Chief Research Officer to meet AUS strategies for research and scholarship.
- Engage with faculty and instructors to integrate information, digital and data literacy concepts and skills into the curriculum.
- Meet departmental liaison responsibilities, including collection development and maintenance, instruction and other professional activities.
- Work with Technical Services colleagues towards content stewardship for repository services and setup, maintenance, utilization and optimization of systems and applications.
- Foster and maintain strong links and networks with regional and international partners and within the sector, show casing and disseminating best practice.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- An ALA-accredited Master of Library and Information Studies (MLIS).
- A minimum of two years of experience in academic libraries.
- Significant practical experience of engaging proactively with faculty and researchers.
- Understanding of the research publication process and a strong understanding of the research environment and its culture.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, indexing and abstracting databases, Current Research Information Systems, and presentation or data visualization software.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to answer enquiries effectively and to express complex ideas clearly and succinctly both to a research-focused audience and to others.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work within a diverse multicultural environment.
- A committed approach to library and information provision with a proactive approach to your own continued professional development and that of others.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae with the names of three references to email@example.com. The position applied for should be mentioned in the email subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applicants who do not meet specified requirements will not be shortlisted.
AUS alumni are encouraged to apply for these positions.
AUS is an equal opportunity employer. We adhere to a policy of making employment decisions without regard to race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability or marital status. We assure you that your opportunity for employment with us depends solely upon your qualifications.
NOTICE TO APPLICANTS: AUS complies with the US Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. During the interview process, you may be asked questions concerning your ability to perform job-related functions. If you are given a conditional offer of employment, you may be required to complete a post-job offer medical history questionnaire and undergo a medical examination, and all information will be kept confidential and in separate files.
American University of Sharjah, Human Resources PO Box 26666, Sharjah, UAE, Fax: +971 6 515 2139