- Vision and Approach
- Academics and Research
- Resource Library
The important work undertaken by AUS in the field of sustainability has been recognized with multiple awards and certifications, including the prestigious Sharjah Sustainability Award.
In 2018, AUS earned a STARS Bronze rating in recognition of its sustainability achievements from the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE). STARS, the Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System, measures and encourages sustainability in all aspects of higher education. At the time of the award, AUS was the first university in the MENA region, and only the fourth university outside of North America, to earn a STARS sustainability rating.
In 2017, AUS won the Sharjah Green Award for Sustainability and was awarded the winning prize in the Emirates Environmental Group’s Glass Collection Campaign.
Below is a list of sustainability awards won by the Department of Biology Chemistry and Environmental Sciences (BCE) on behalf of AUS:
· 2019. Sharjah Sustainability Award— Best Outstanding Team of Applied Scientific Research, mentors Dr. F. Samara and Dr. M. Khamis
· 2018. Salute to Excellence Award to the Department of Biology Chemistry and Environmental Sciences given by the American Chemical Society (ACS) for Environmental Day ACS Festival, mentor Dr. Y. El Sayed
· 2018. BCE students win First Place, Sustainability Challenge, EWS-WWF, Sustainable City, Dubai, UAE, mentor Dr. S. Knuteson
· 2018. Emirates Environmental Group (EEG)], Student Environmental Debate, Dubai, UAE, mentor Dr. Abouleish
· 2017. Recognized (1 of 2 of 14), Green Campus Audit, by the AUS BCE Green Team, Abu Dhabi Environmental Agency’s Sustainable Campus Initiative, mentors Dr. S. Knuteson and Dr. F. Samara
· 2017. Recognized (1 of 2 out of 14), Sustainable Action Project, by the AUS BCE Green Team, Abu Dhabi Environmental Agency’s Sustainable Campus Initiative, mentors Dr. S. Knuteson and Dr. F. Samara
· 2017. Hassan Issak, senior project "Investigating Chemically-Modified Natural Fibers for Removal of Organic Oil from Water Surface" received SIB Award- Honorable Mention, AUS, supervisor: Dr. M.H. Al-Sayah
· 2017. T. Taghaddosi, First place in the category of Environmental Science and Environmental Engineering at the Fifth UAE Undergraduate Research Competition, Abu Dhabi, UAE, supervisor: Dr. Y. El Sayed
· 2017. T. Taghaddosi, Winning The BP Safety Award, Sharjah, UAE, supervisors: Dr. Y. El Sayed and Dr. D. Abouelnasr
· 2016. Second Place (of 14), Green Campus Audit, by the AUS BCE Green Team, Abu Dhabi Environmental Agency’s Sustainable Campus Initiative, mentors Dr. S. Knuteson and Dr. F. Samara
· 2016. L. Luqman, S. Rafaey, A. Siddiqui, N. Attia, Y. Okasha, N. Abu Jarad, International Conference on the Environment—Smart Cities and Green Innovation, Ajman, UAE, Seconnd Placem, supervisor: M. Abouleish
· 2016. A. Mostafa and M. S Mohamed, The Use of Chemically Modified Cotton and Palm Leaves in Removing Heavy Metals from Wastewater by EPAA-Sharjah, Sharjah Sustainability Award—Best Outstanding Team of Applied Scientific Research, supervisor Dr. M. Al-Sayah
· 2016. N. Al-Haj Asad, Cellulose-Based Material for Removal of Heavy Metals from Waste Water by AUS, Sharjah Islamic Bank Award—First Prize, supervisor Dr. M. Al-Sayah