- Contact Us
- Apply Now
AUS holds Annual Student Appreciation Awards
American University of Sharjah (AUS) honored more than 600 students for their extracurricular achievements during the Annual Student Appreciation Award ceremony, held yesterday night, May 18, 2015. Students from the AUS Student Council, sports teams, student clubs and organizations, community services volunteers, and the leadership program were recognized and honored at the Jawaher Reception and Convention Center, Sharjah.
The Annual Student Appreciation Awards honor students' activities outside the classrooms and promotes their success by recognizing their achievements and encouraging them to explore their interests.
Speaking at the ceremony were Dr. Björn Kjerfve, AUS Chancellor, and Dr. Moza Al Shehhi, Dean of Students.
"AUS has gained a well-earned reputation throughout the region for its academic excellence. But your contributions outside the classroom-on campus and beyond-as athletes, student volunteers, university leaders and ambassadors have played a significant role in enhancing the standing of our university," said Chancellor Kjerfve.
Dr. Al Shehhi expressed her pride in the students' participation in events and activities provided by the AUS Office of Student Affairs and added, "Student life at AUS is incomparable to any institution in the region, and we have strived over the years to prove that we still stand the best in terms of quality and quantity of student out-of-class activities."
Eight students received the Most Outstanding Active Student Award for their contributions to extracurricular activities in Academic Year 2014-2015. The awardees were:
Student Athletics and Recreation
- Shahdan Ibrahim Barakat
- Mohammad Reza M. Jafareian
- Jawwad Ahmed
Student Clubs and Organizations
- Hamad Ali Al Ketbi, Emirati Cultural Club
- Balquees Abdulwahab Basalom, Saudi Cultural Club
- Hussam Badi Uz Zaman, AUS Debating Society
- Omar Albuqaish Almutawa
- Community Services
- Mohammad Ramez Al Jachi
The following awards were presented for participation in AUS Global Day 2015:
Best Corner Awards
- First Place: Emirati Cultural Club
- Second Place: Palestinian Cultural Club
- Third Place: Saudi Cultural Club
- Team Work Award-Corner: Iraqi Cultural Club
- Creative Idea Award-Corner: Pakistani Cultural Club
- First Place: Indian Cultural Club
- Second Place: Jordanian Cultural Club
- Third Place: Syrian Cultural Club
- Team Work Award-Performance: Nigerian Cultural Club
- Creative Idea Award-Performance: Bangladeshi Cultural Club
Club of the Year awards were given to the following:
- Ethnic Club: Emirati Cultural Club
- Interest-Oriented Club: Engineers Without Borders Club
Also present at the awards ceremony were Kevin Mitchell, AUS Interim Provost; AUS deans and other senior officials; faculty, staff and students.