- Life at AUS
- Contact Us
- Apply Now
AUS holds successful UAE National Day charity marathon
Under the patronage of His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan bin Muhammad Al Qasimi, UAE Supreme Council Member, Ruler of Sharjah and President of American University of Sharjah (AUS), the Community Service Office at AUS and the Emirati Cultural Club held a mini marathon as part of UAE's 45th National Day celebrations to promote the university's active participation towards a stronger multicultural community. The event, organized in association with the Sharjah Sports Council, was held under the theme "45th Unity Spirit.
With over 60 AUS volunteers who helped in organizing the event, the charity run attracted more than 1,000 participants from over 40 registered schools across Sharjah and Ajman; members of the AUS community, government departments and institutions, charity organizations in Sharjah, as well as members of the general public.
Participants were categorized according to their age groups and ran the distance from three starting points, the longest of which was four kilometers starting from the University City gate and leading to the finish line at the main AUS roundabout.
Dr. Moza Al Shehhi, Dean of students, congratulated the winners and expressed her satisfaction with the success of the event and said, "We hold the AUS Charity Mini-Marathon annually to promote charitable work and emphasize the importance of voluntary work among our students. For an even meaningful event, we organize the charity mini-marathon to coincide with the university's celebration of the UAE National Day. The gathering also serves as a platform for participants, both Emiratis and residents, to express their love for the country and show solidarity with the people and leaders of this great nation on the occasion of UAE National Day."
"I wish to thank our volunteers for their efforts and contributions towards the success of this event and my special thanks to the staff for putting things together for an orderly event. I also wish to acknowledge our event partners and contributors for their support," added Dr. Al Shehhi.
First place winners are as follow:
- Special needs category: Sameera bint Zayed from Sharjah City for Humanitarian Services and Adel Wadeaa from Al Thiqa Club
- Girls under the age of 12 category: Salma Ahmed from Al Marifa School
- Boys under the age of 12 category: Motaz Mohamad from Al Doha Private School
- Girls between the age of 12 and 17 category: Basma Shayf from Aldoha School
- Boys between the age of 12 and 17 category: Amr Youssef from Al Ahlya Al Khayryah
- Women between the age of 18 and 35 category: Subashini Sayiyaman
- Men between the age of 18 and 35 category: Zayed Abdullah Monser from Ajman Private School
- Women between the age of 36 and 45 category: Somayah Alnagad from Aldoha School
- Men between the age of 36 and 45 category: Nabeel Saleh from Dubai Police
- Men above the age of 45 category: Fadl Ali Muhammed from Dubai Police
Event partners and contributors to the charity marathon included Sharjah Sports Council, Al Bayt Mitwahid, Sharjah Grand Hotel, Sharjah Golf and Shooting Club, Dunkin Donuts and Break Point Restaurant.