- Life at AUS
- Contact Us
- Apply Now
AUS holds UAE National Day charity marathon
Under the patronage of His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan Bin Mohammad Al Qassimi, Ruler of Sharjah and President of American University of Sharjah (AUS), the Office of Student Affairs (OSA) and Community Service Office at AUS held a mini marathon as part of UAE's 44th National Day celebrations. The event, organized in association with the Sharjah Sports Council, was held on Saturday, November 21, 2015, under the theme "44th Unity Spirit."
With over 50 AUS volunteers who helped in organizing the event, the charity run attracted more than 1,500 participants from over 22 registered schools across Sharjah and Ajman; members of the AUS community, government departments and institutions, charity organizations in Sharjah, as well as members of the general public.
Participants were categorized according to their age groups and ran the distance from three starting points, the longest of which was three-and-a-half kilometers starting from the University City gate and leading to the finish line at the main AUS roundabout.
The event was attended by Dr. Björn Kjerfve, AUS Chancellor; Dr. Moza Al Shehhi, Dean of Students; Munketh Taha, Director of Student Development and Organizations; Mohamed Helal, Director of Student Athletics and Recreation; Ahmad Al Ketbi, a representative from the Sharjah Sport Council; among others.
Dr. Al Shehhi congratulated the winners and expressed her satisfaction with the success of the event which was held to promote the university's active participation in the celebrations of the 44th National Day.
Event partners and contributors of the charity marathon included Sharjah Sports Council; Government of Sharjah; Sharjah Grand Hotel; Sharjah Golf and Shooting Club; All Prints; Dunkin Donuts; Break Point Restaurant and Sharjah Cooperative Society.
Funds generated from the event will be used to support various charity initiatives at AUS.
First place winners were as follows:
- Special needs category: Mousa Hussain from Ajman Disability Club
- Girls under the age of 12 category: Munira Ahmad from Al Zuhur School
- Boys under the age of 12 category: Motaz Mohamad from Al Dawha Private School
- Girls between the age of 12 and 17 category: Safaa Jumaa from Al Maarifa International School
- Boys between the age of 12 and 17 category: Musab Ramadan from Al Shola Private School
- Women between the age of 18 and 35 category: Dalia Shady from AUS
- Men between the age of 18 and 35 category: Adel Hanfi from Al Ain
- Women between the age of 36 and 45 category: Zeinab Majid from Al Zuhur Private School
- Men between the age of 36 and 45 category: Hussain Mohammad from Al Dawha Private School
- Women above the age of 45 category: Gringe Safostin from Berlin International School
- Men above the age of 45 category: Fadel Ali Mohamad from Dubai Police.