- Life at AUS
- Contact Us
- Apply Now
AUS students elect new Student Council
Students of American University of Sharjah (AUS) elected 14 new members to the university's Student Council during voting held yesterday, May 20, at the Student Center. Elected to the office of Student Council President was Mohammad Ahmad Alhashimi, a sophomore in mechanical engineering.
The Student Council serves a voice for the student body and works directly with the university administration. It aims to initiate programs and projects that cater to the demands of the student body as well as promote leadership and teamwork. The elected candidates represent the university's diverse and multicultural student body.
The voting followed week-long electoral activities in which candidates canvassed for votes. Taha Bin Imam, elected as Treasurer of the Executive Board, talked about his team's campaign strategy. "We had a very strong campaign and we made ourselves very visible to the student body. We hosted a breakfast and lunch so that students could interact with us and get to know who we are and the values we stand for."
According to Dr. Moza Al Shehhi, Dean of Students, "As student affairs administrators, it is our responsibility to create opportunities that complement formal learning and promote students' personal and professional growth. We strive to promote these opportunities among our students for them to gain the requisite skills and knowledge to become effective leaders of tomorrow. The Student Council is one of these opportunities where our students hone their skills in leadership, communications, negotiation and many other areas. Student Council serves as the collective voice of the student body to convey all student-related concerns to the administration."
The 14 students elected to the Student Council for 2015-2016 are:
- Mohammad Ahmad Alhashimi President
- Mustapha Ezzeddine Vice President
- Arpi Hagop Barbarian Vice President for Public Relations
- Alanood Afifi Dabbour Executive Secretary and Office Director
- Taha Bin Imam Treasurer
Community Outreach Committee
- Reem Salem AlNuaimi Events and Activities Coordinator
- Mohamed Mahmoud Elsayed Athletics and Sports Coordinator
- Farah Majed Hamzeh Communication and Media Coordinator
- George Victor Marachli Student Organizations and Campus Services Coordinator
Board of Colleges, Schools and Academic Programs Representatives
- Rachel Leigh Mansour College of Arts and Sciences Representative
- Mohamed Jamal Alrekhaimi College of Architecture, Art and Design Representative
- Alreem Khalid Alshamsi School of Business Administration Representative
- Loay Farhat College of Engineering Representative
- Tala Sa'di Abu Salim Achievement Academy Bridge Program Representative
The Student Council election was organized by the Student Activities Office of the AUS Office of Student Affairs.