- Study at AUS
- Life at AUS
New faculty members welcomed at AUS
American University of Sharjah (AUS) has welcomed 36 new faculty members this fall semester. An orientation week, organized by the Faculty Development Center, in collaboration with Human Resources and Operations, ensured a smooth transition for the new faculty, introducing them to administrative and academic staff, and showing them the inner workings of the university through a series of orientation events.
The newly appointed faculty will further add to the multicultural environment for which AUS is known, with the 370 members of AUS faculty representing 47 different nationalities.
Dr. Cindy Gunn, Director of the Faculty Development Center (FDC), welcomed the new faculty, saying:
"We are delighted to be welcoming such a diverse and talented group to the AUS community. We hope that after a busy orientation week, the new faculty feel well prepared for life at AUS and have all the information necessary for an enjoyable and rewarding experience."
Information essential for a smooth transition to academic life at AUS was provided to the new faculty, with resources about support services including banking, housing transportation, travel and public relations made available.
The new faculty were also provided with an overview of the university's various academic units by senior AUS administrators, including:
- An Overview of Academics at AUS, Kevin Mitchell, Vice Provost for Undergraduate Affairs
- Teaching at AUS, Cindy Gunn, Director, Faculty Development Center
- Life at AUS, Alec Holmes, Manager, Operations Support Services
- Academic Support for Students, Dr. Mehvash Ali, Director, Academic Support Center
- Library Information, Daphne Flanagan, University Librarian
- Administrative Support at AUS, Dr. Jeannette Vinke, Chief Operating Officer
- Marketing and Communication at AUS, Sue Mainey, Director of Strategic Communications and Marketing
- HR and Community Support at AUS, Paula Doyle, HR Executive Director; and Saeed Al Shamsi, Chief of Protocol
- Wellness at AUS, Graeme Dobie, Wellness Manager
- AUS Students: Background Information, Ali N. Shuhaimy, Executive Director for Enrollment Management
- Introduction to IT and ACG, Frank Seifaee, IT Director; and Nabeel Amireh, ACG Director
Opportunities presented by AUS for research and faculty development were emphasized during the orientation events, with faculty encouraged to pursue activities that promote the university's postgraduate agenda.