- Contact Us
- Apply Now
Poster competition spotlights AUS senior engineering design projects
American University of Sharjah (AUS) hosted its annual Engineering Senior Design Projects Poster Competition at the College of Engineering on May 26, 2015. The competition is a compilation of senior student projects from the different departments of the College of Engineering at the end of each year.
All senior students in the College of Engineering are required to complete senior design projects, working in teams of three to four students. Each team submits a poster about its project to its department, and the faculty members select the best three posters for their department to be included in the competition. This year's competition had a total of 65 poster submissions.
Khader Abdellattif, a senior majoring in computer engineering, said, "The Senior Design Projects Poster Competition helps our ideas to shine on, and we get the opportunity to present our hard work to the AUS community. I have also learned a lot from the other projects, and I'm glad to be part of this event."
The winning posters were announced at the end of the event. The results were as follows:
- Chemical engineering: "Leachability of Metals from Electric Arc Furnace Dust" by Meloni Perera, Sara Ramsis, Shoib Ahmed, M. Shadab, M. Ali Basha and Rudhra Bala, under the supervision of Dr. Sameer Al Asheh.
- Civil engineering: "Hydraulic Analysis of Vale Royal" by Jamil Bouchacra, Hadil Ibrahim and Mohamad Sakaya, under the supervision of Dr. Serter Atabay.
- Computer science and engineering: "GPark - License Plate Recognition Using Google Glass" by Benna Iqbal, Maryam Hassan and Samina Abdul-Rahman, under the supervision of Dr. Rana Ahmed.
- Electrical engineering: "Investigation of Wireless Power Transfer for a Sensor-based Microsystem for Orthodontic Applications" by Khalid Ibrahim, Eiman El Ghanam and Salma Zeid, under the supervision of Dr. Lutfi Albasha and Dr. Nasser Qaddoumi.
- Mechanical engineering: "Design of a Cable Low-Actuated Wearable Exo-Skeleton Hand" by Khader AbdelLatif, Muad El-Griw and Usman Ndanusa, under the supervision of Dr. Mohammed Jaradat, Dr. Mamoun AbdelHafez and Dr. Tamer Shanableh.
Judging the posters were AUS engineering alumni and Dr. Tharwat El-Sakran from the AUS Department of English. Attendees included Dr. Leland Blank, Dean of the College of Engineering; Dr. Hany El Kadi, Associate Dean of Engineering; other AUS senior officials, AUS faculty and students.