- Contact Us
- Apply Now
AUS students recognized for their outstanding extracurricular activities
American University of Sharjah (AUS) recognized more than 600 outstanding students at its Annual Student Appreciation Awards 2019 (ASAA19) held yesterday, April 29.
Eight students were presented with the Most Outstanding Active Student Award which recognizes distinguished undergraduate students for their contribution and dedication to extracurricular activities throughout the academic year. The award acknowledges the efforts, commitment and hard work of students who positively contribute to the enhancement of student life on campus through proactive engagement in clubs and organizations, athletics, community service and the leadership program.
The recipients of this award received a certificate and are entitled to AED 5,000 tuition remission. They are:
- Zainab Mohamed Al Ghareeb – Engineers Without Borders Club
- Mohamed Yousuf – American Chemical Society Club
- Donthi Sankalpa – Korean Cultural Club
- Yara Abir Tebbal – Women's Volleyball
- Karim Nagy Hamed – Men's Soccer
- Syed Talha Tariq Farooq – Cricket
- Ali Reza – Community Services
- Zainab Mohamed Al Ghareeb – Leadership Program
Organized by the Office of Student Affairs, the gala event, which was attended by Dr. Juan Sanchez, Provost and Chief Academic Officer of AUS, as well as other senior university officials, also included the presentation of the Club of the Year award, the Global Day awards, and recognition of graduating students.
The Indian Cultural Club was named Cultural Club of the Year while the American Institute of Chemical Engineers and Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Computer Society was named the Interest-Oriented Club of the Year.
Congratulating the students, Dr. Sanchez said:
"Tonight, we will honor some 600 students with awards that recognize so many of the qualities that makes us all proud to be part of AUS, such as leadership, sport and community services, and your efforts to create such a lively community on campus through a wide diversity of clubs. Certainly, your efforts to create a unique campus experience came out loud and clear during our liveliest campus festivity which is, of course, Global Day. We’ll be honoring the teams for their efforts in creating such a wonderful and unique event and we will, of course, enjoy some of their performances once again this evening."
The Global Day Corner Awardees were:
- Jordanian Cultural Club – First place
- Iraqi Cultural Club – Second place
- Emirati Cultural Club – Third place
- Iranian Cultural Club – Creative Idea Award
- Pakistani Cultural Club – Teamwork Award
Global Day Performance Awardees were:
- Indian Cultural Club – First place
- Palestinian Cultural Club – Second place
- Jordanian Cultural Club – Third place
- Egyptian Cultural Club – Creative Idea Award
- Sudanese Cultural Club – Teamwork Award
Speaking on the occasion, Munketh Taha, Director of Student Development and Organizations, said:
"We bring together our active students on this special occasion to honor them for their contributions towards promoting a vibrant campus life at AUS. Year after year, our students enjoy this special gathering to celebrate their extracurricular accomplishments. We are very pleased to see them value and understand the importance of out-of-class learning, which compliments their academic endeavors. AUS offers many extracurricular opportunities that help our students become well-rounded and effective individuals.”